Thursday, November 21, 2013

Chef Hein…kinda.

I'm going to try to update this blog on the regular which means that you're going to get some random stuff.  Stuff about military life and military wife-ry, friends, family, pregnancy, cooking, recipes, etc.  Just thought I should preface that sooner than later before you get TOO invested in reading my ramblings.

I love to cook.  I really, really do.  The more I do it and get into it, the more confident I feel in my ability to create a nice meal from scratch - or mostly scratch.  I'm not churnin' my own butter or anything, but I'm doing what I can.



With that said, sometimes I get really frustrated.  I'm not one to make the same recipes week after week and while scouring Pinterest for new eats has it's joyous moments, sometimes I'm just…blah about the whole thing.  I also tend to ask Jesse at the worst possible time what sounds good for dinner which, I admit, is my own self-made frustration.  Apparently while he is running out the door for work at 6:30 am isn't a great time to ask what sounds good for a meal in 12 hours.  Who knew?  And while I have learned it's really not a great time I continue to ask him this question day after day, week after week.  Being the female that I am, I allow myself to get frustrated by his standard answer of "Anything!" or "I don't know, whatever you want!" or better yet, "Bye!".

So I've learned.  I've learned that making a weekly menu that includes a night or two of leftovers, or more recently meals out (since we are moving in SIXTEEN DAYS!), works better for the chef in our family…me.  This plan gives me the structure I need to happily hit up Pinterest once a week instead of daily for recipes, make one huge grocery list, and then be done with shopping for the week.  And trust me, once you've had the joy of commissary shopping on a payday Friday, you too will only want to go once a week.  Not working right now gives me the flexibility to spend more time in the kitchen on meals I've always wanted to make but never had the time for.  It's been a love-hate relationship with my kitchen gadgets, but I generally quite enjoy it.

I've also learned with Jesse that when he says he doesn't care what's for dinner, he really doesn't care.  I could make just about anything and he would gladly eat it up.  During these 19 months of marriage I've discovered that if I want to cook it, I don't need permission or agreement from him.  I can just say, this is what we're having, he says sounds good and shock! He means it!  That's actually quite a struggle for me to accept, but I'm trying to get better.

The whole writing of this particular blog happened because I had Shrimp Tacos a week or two ago with a good friend and have been craving them again ever since.  They were pretty spicy, and this baby tends to crave ANYTHING spicy.  I cannot get enough spice and nothing is hot enough.  I guess that's the Korean in Jess coming through.  Anyway, I made a modified version of my friend's recipe with Fuzzy's Garlic Sauce (if you don't know what Fuzzy's is, you need to find one, like now).  I added Queso Blanco on top of the tacos and on the side as a dip along with some chips and guacamole.  This might not seem like a big deal, but damn.  This was a good meal if I do say so myself.  This particular meal has made the blog because there were no leftovers.  NONE.  That never happens!  It also makes the blog because everything except the Death Sauce (like I said, SPICY!) and the chips were homemade.  You could say I was pretty proud of myself.  It might not seem like a big deal to some but this means I've FINALLY accomplished the incredibly difficult task of turning giant recipes into a meal for two.  And homemade for two at that!  Woo hoo! I'm not going to post the recipes because there are several of them and they are fairly long, but if you want one in particular (guac, shrimp, queso) leave a comment and I'll respond to ya.  


Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.


Have a great Thursday for those of you just waking up and happy almost weekend for those in Japan!






No comments:

Post a Comment